Wednesday, September 7, 2016

It's a bloomin' miracle..



Time for a bit of spring coleur! I'm ever fascinated by the intricate and sometimes alien look of plant 'innards' :) Here the golden droplets atop the stamens of my Azalea are quite simply lovely against the hot pink petals. Here's the miracle.. I Bonsai'd this azalea over thirty years ago and here it has grown and flourished in this shallow bowl ever since, the soil has never been changed, I occasionally shape and trim any roots that stick out.. but that's it, it seems so little effort for such wonderful rewards..


According to the link above azaleas prefer indirect sun and moderate temperatures. My little beauty as you can see sits in full sun, with temperatures in summer as high as 43C, flowering at least twice a year, sometimes thrice, surrounded by a sea of ivy, it's my first indicator of the arrival of spring.. long may it live :) Do you have a plant that survives against all odds? Happy Wednesday, take care and stay safe..


24 comments:

  1. I love this! I have a thing about color--the bolder, the more vivid, the better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some times plants never learned where they are meant to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beauty a flower can bring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an old Christmas Cactus that was huge until this summer when it has started to drop branches and I can't figure out why!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Grace! You have green fingers. The blossom is beautiful. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All my plants are survivors. They have to be because I completely ignore them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my plants are survivors. They have to be because I completely ignore them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very special and such a glorious colour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is quite amazing. It is not something that can go without a drink on a hot day, so your dedication is admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A gorgeous bloom. We are headed into fall and winter...a favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is a sweet offspring (off-sprig? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Plants seem to know when they are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Splendid mass of ivy round your azalea. I have always had trouble growing them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lindas estas pequenas flores silvestres.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.
    Andarilhar

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like those golden pearls in the flower. You have a treasure in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow that is amazing. I have never tried Bonsai but maybe I will give it a try.

    Hope all is well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous macro with wonderful colors, Grace !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I sadly have a "black thumb", Grace - yes, really some beauty you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me? Me you ask? My luck with plants goes in the exact opposite direction. I try to look and not touch so that I do the least amount of damage. I have no idea what it is but, plants under my care are in serious peril no matter how hard I try. I'm glad you (and so many others) have that plant nurturing ability and have put it to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous Grace, beautiful colour. Never tried bonsai.

    ReplyDelete